The top 20 most common regrets
I have had many clients talk to me about their regrets. It seems we all have something we regret and I started putting together a list recently of the most common regrets that people have told me about.
It makes sense to me to use this information to make sure we do these things so that we can profit from their wisdom and end up with less regrets:
The most common regrets:
- Working too much and not taking enough time to have fun
- Working too much and not taking enough time for friends and family.
- Trusting the opinions of others more than their own opinions
- Not being true to themselves and doing what others want instead
- Worrying too much about what others think
- Comparing lives to others
- Not being assertive enough
- Not believing in themselves enough
- Being exploited at work and buying in to the whole work thing at the expense of other pursuits
- Not showing enough appreciation to those that are important
- Not being mindful enough and not living in the moment more
- Getting married because it was what everyone else was doing – seemed right at the time
- Staying in the wrong relationship out of fear that they won’t find anyone else
- Being too afraid to try new things and be adventurous.
- Having the wrong priorities
- Looking for happiness in the wrong places – ie. money/possessions instead of people and experiences.
- Not appreciating their youth more.
- Not truly expressing their true feelings more often
- Not being a better parent to their children
- Not doing more to save their marriage/ most important relationship
Time is ticking, life’s not a dress rehearsal. Make a list of things you want to do as well as a list of your most important values. Add to this whatever it is that makes you feel content and at peace and between all of that you should be able to make an action list of things to do in order to reduce your regrets later in life. Make the most of each day and live as though time is limited (because it is). Don’t wait..do it now and avoid the most common regrets.